Obtaining a Tax ID Number
A Tax ID number is helpful for students, visiting faculty, researchers, or family members since their residence permits and some administrative procedures will not be readily available when they arrive. For instance, paying the residence permit card fee requires an official ID number.
It will allow you to open a bank account with some banks, obtain health insurance, and perform various formalities in Turkey.
Once you have a residence permit, you will have your foreign ID number and do not have to use your Tax ID number anymore.
A Tax ID application can only be made with your valid passport.
Obtaining a Tax ID number is easy, online (if you have a Turkish phone number), and free of charge.
There are two ways of acquisition:
OPTION ONE: ONLINE ACQUISITION
What do you need?
- A Turkish phone number (Click here to learn what to know before getting a Turkish phone number)
- A digital copy of your passport ID page ready on your computer (In pdf, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, odt, ods, png, or jpeg formats, less than 1 megabyte)
How to proceed?
- Visit the official webpage of the Interactive Tax Office at //ivd.gib.gov.tr/
- Click on the Application For Non-Citizen’s Potential Tax Number button at the bottom of the page. The application form has English explanations, and it requires you to upload your passport ID page.
- The system will give you a Tax ID number once you submit the form. Please enable cookies and pop-ups on your browser since your Tax ID number will be given to you as an official letter in a PDF format. If you do not enable them, you cannot receive the document. The T.C./Vergi Kimlik Numarası or the Potansiyel Vergi Kimlik Numarası on the document is your Tax ID number.
OPTION TWO: IN-PERSON APPLICATION (If you do not have a Turkish phone number)
You need to visit a Tax Office to apply for and obtain a Tax ID number with several documents.
The required documents:
- Your passport,
- A photocopy of your passport ID page,
- Filled and signed Tax ID Application Form (downloadable here, sample form here)
The closest Tax Office is the Sarıyer Tax Office.
Address: Büyükdere Mah. Çayırbaşı Cad. No:125 Sarıyer/İSTANBUL
Click here for our instructions, directions, and tips.