Residence Permit Applications
Visiting Student Scholars
An online residence permit application must be submitted before the expiration date of a visa (regular or electronic), passport or other entry document. Each applicant must be aware of the expiration date of their visas or the amount of time allowed in Turkey with other documents.
Applicants’ passports must be valid at least 60 days beyond the requested ending date of residence permit (i.e. if an applicant wants to have a residence permit which expires on June 30th, his/ her passport must be valid until August 29th).
- An application can only be made after entering Turkey and registering at the university. It is not possible to make it outside the country.
- In order to make an appointment, you need to enter Turkey with your original passport. No other entry document is acceptable for residence permit applications.
- If you attempt to apply after the visa expiration date, this will not be possible and you will be asked to leave Turkey and re-enter with a new visa or passport entry stamp.
- All applications are online and each student must complete the online appointment form within their visa or permission to stay without a visa period when he/she is instructed to do so by our office.
- While filling out the application form you may encounter system failures or other technical difficulties. You should wait and try again. If nothing works, please send us an email with screen shots of the failure: email@example.com. If we do not receive your application documents in time we will contact you and this will delay your application, therefore please try your best to complete the application on time. You can reach our document submission deadlines here.
- It is necessary to upload your head-shot photograph to the form. Please have your head-shot photograph in the JPEG version available on your computer.
- While filling out the online application form, please select “SHORT TERM/ THE ONES TO ATTEND TRAINING, RESEARCH, APPRENTICESHIP AND COURSES” as the application type and purpose instead of “STUDENT” or “SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH”. Please do not pay the card fee online. You must first obtain a tax ID number and then pay it via Yapi Kredi Bank at the main campus (Student Center, lower 1st floor) with the 9267-reference code.
- To purchase a tax ID number, you need a photocopy of your passport ID page as well as a filled tax ID application form. Sample form here.
- While filling out the online form, you should choose the KU main campus address (specified in the instructions guides) regardless of your residential address in Turkey. It is essential for your card to be sent to the Registrar’s Office for them to register your ID and to prevent any loss or misplacements upon delivery.
- Once your online application is complete, you should print it out, sign the signature part on the 5th page, and submit it along with all your documents to the International Office (ICO) right away without waiting for an appointment date.
- The ICO submits the applications to Migration Management once a month. You can find the deadlines to hand in their application documents to the ICO at this link. Please note, these dates are hard deadlines and we only accept submissions from 3-5 pm Mon-Fri. Please watch the expiration date of your visa or residence permit to apply and submit your documents to us at the right time. Missing any above date will mean that you have to wait until the next submission period. Avoid this especially if you have little time left before your visa or residence permit expires.
- Example: Your residence permit expiration date is October 30th / Your submission of complete documents to ICO must be by September 17th.
- If you indicated any wrong data into your online application form, you need to cancel it and apply it again. For the Instructions Guide to Cancel Residence Permit Application, please click here.
ADVISING & DOCUMENT SUBMISSION/REVIEW HOURS: ICO Residence Permit Advisors will accept and review your documents for accuracy. Submissions with missing documents will not be accepted. You are welcome to visit ICO for advising any week day from 3-5pm and submit your papers. Always aim for an earlier date than the deadlines to be safe.
URGENT TRAVELS WHILE WAITING: Those who submit their documents to the ICO and later receive a text message or email notification from the Immigration Office that reads “Your residence permit application is approved” can visit the Istanbul Department of Immigration to collect their temporary (15 day max) travel document with their original passport. There are a few multilingual info desks at the entrance floor and they will assist you with this process.
TRACKING YOUR APPLICATION STATUS: You should expect to receive your residence permit card within 1-1,5 months (45 days) from the dates of submission here. Submitting earlier does not mean you will receive your card earlier.
QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION: If you have an extraordinary situation about your application, if your application is denied, cancelled or you are asked to take further action, you must visit the Istanbul Department of Immigration 1st floor Student Desk.
FULL LIST OF DOCUMENTS
- 4 biometric headshots (biometric self-service photo booth is available on campus (Student Center, lower 1st floor)).
- Receipt of 110 ₺ Card Fee payment. You can pay the fee to either Ziraat Bank or Halk Bank with your tax ID number for the 9267 reference code.
- Receipt of Application Fee payment. You can pay this fee only to Fatih or Gayrettepe (Mecidiyeköy) Tax Offices. The fee amount depends on the period the applicant requests. The amount is stated on the front page of the application form once submitted.
- Receipt of Visa Fee payment (If you need to pay the visa fee).
- Health Insurance Policy Document (If you are not insured by the university).
- Originally signed health insurance policy to be obtained from the human resources office (If you are insured by KU). Request by emailing (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Passport photocopy after arriving in Turkey (ID page, visa page if you got a visa, and the last entry stamp page for Turkey). Please make sure that all the photocopies are separately taken to separate A4- size papers.
You can pay all the fees to either Fatih or Gayrettepe (Mecidiyeköy) Tax Offices. If you do not need to pay the application fee (your department needs to confirm), and if you do not need to pay the visa fee (details below), you do not need to visit Fatih or Gayrettepe Tax Offices. You can pay the card fee to either Ziraat Bank or Halk Bank with your tax ID number.
Visa Fee: If you entered Turkey without a visa because of Turkey’s visa regime, you need to pay a visa fee to apply for a residence permit. For instance; German citizens can enter Turkey without a visa. If they want to apply for a residence permit, they have to pay a visa fee. You can pay the visa fee only to Fatih or Gayrettepe (Mecidiyeköy) Tax Offices.
Visa fee exceptional countries: The citizens of the following countries do not have to pay visa fees: Azerbaijan, Bolivia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Czechia, Iran, Kazakhstan, Luxemburg, New Zeland, Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, Russia.
TRAVELING WHILE YOUR APPLICATION IS IN PROCESS
After successfully applying for a residence permit you are entitled to a document called “Ikamet Izni Muracaat Belgesi – Residence Permit Application Form” which can be obtained from Istanbul Immigration Office by going there in person with original passport.
This document allows you to travel and stay outside Turkey for up to 15 days while your application is in process. This document becomes available usually within 10 days after the ICO submission dates. Therefore, if you need this document, please visit the immigration office within 10-15 days from the ICO submission date. If you are traveling with this document you must re-enter Turkey within 15 days. Transit directions and instructions to obtain this document can be found here.