Lost or Stolen Permit Cards

First of all, please do not panic!

If your permit card gets lost or stolen, it is very important that you go to the nearest police station and ask for a report immediately. Below, you can find our instructions on what steps you should follow in such an incident.

Keep calm, and follow them:

Sarıyer Şehit Şakir Aktaş Police Station

Taksim Police Station

Kadıköy İskele Police Station

1. Obtain a police report

Go to the nearest police station with your passport and a photo of your lost residence permit card and ask for a report. If you are not sure or do not have any evidence that your card is stolen, just tell the officers that you lost your card. This is because the officers will ask you if you saw the person who robbed you or if there were any CCTV cameras around.

Once you get in the police station, you can read out or hand in the text below to a police officer:

Hello! I lost my residence permit card and I would like to have a police report. Can you please help?”

“Merhaba! İkamet kartımı kaybettim ve tutanak tutturmak istiyorum. Yardım eder misiniz?”

Hello! My permit card got stolen and I would like to have a police report. Can you please help?”

“Merhaba! İkamet kartımı çaldırdım ve tutanak tutturmak istiyorum. Yardım eder misiniz?”

The police officer will guide you further about the process.

2. Pay the new card’s fees

If you are a student, you need to pay only the card fee (110₺) to either Ziraat Bank, Halk Bank or Vakıf Bank with the 9267-reference code and your foreigner ID number. Please keep the receipt.

If you are not a student (post-doc, faculty member, researcher, etc), in addition to the card fee, you also need to pay the application fee. The application fee amount depends on the country of origin and the only channel to learn the fee amount is the Immigration Directorate. Upon your visit, the staff will inform you how much you should pay. Then you can go to the Istanbul Tax Department (close to the Immigration Department) and pay your application fee with your foreigner ID number. Keep the receipt and then go back to the Immigration Department to continue the transaction.

Note: you can pay the card fee to the Istanbul Tax Department as well.

Note: Please remember that the tax office accepts only Turkish Lira in cash, no other currency. If your fee costs 40 $, for instance, you must pay that amount in Turkish currency cash.

Below you can find a sentence you can hand into an officer at the tax office. You should provide your foreigner ID number to the officer at the counter.

Hello! I lost my residence permit card and I want to pay the application fee for the new card. The fee costs XX (40) $. Can you please help?”

“Merhaba! İkamet kartımı kaybettim ve yenisini çıkartmam için ikamet harcımı ödemem gerekiyor. Ödeyeceğim tutar XX (kırk) dolar. Yardımcı olur musunuz?”

3. Visit the Istanbul Immigration Department

After you completed the first two steps, you should visit the Istanbul Immigration Department/ Info Desk with the following documents:

  1. Police report
  2. Address registration certificate (housing document is accepted)
  3. Photocopy of your passport ID page
  4. Your passport
  5. 2 head-shot photographs
  6. The fee payment receipt

They will guide you to the Data Updating Room on the first floor.

If you want your new card to be delivered to the university, you can give the university’s address as well.

Address Registration

To register your address, you need your residence permit card, passport and a photocopy of your passport ID page along with your housing document. If you stay at KU Housing (dorms or boardings), you must collect a housing document (in Turkish) from the KU Housing Department (Dorm Management). To do so, you can use the H- Track-it system and request a residency document. If you have housemates, their names must be in the document as well. In this regard, you must choose the option “change of address” as the reason for your request. If you chose the “other/visa” option, the document will not mention their names. If you stay off-campus, you must bring either a copy of your rental contract or a utility bill on your name. Please make sure that your address is explicitly written on the document you bring.

The office you visit to register your address depends on which district you live in. 

If you live in one of the following districts: Sarıyer, Silivri, Çatalca, Arnavutköy or Beykoz, you need to visit the Istanbul Immigration Department to register your address. There you need to go to the Student Office, 1st floor, room 106.

If you live in other districts than the aforementioned ones, you need to visit your district’s Civil Registry Office. For instance, if you live in Beşiktaş, you need to visit Beşiktaş Civil Registry (Nüfus Müdürlüğü) with required documents.

After you register your address, you can obtain your Address Registration Certificate only from the e-Devlet (e- Government) platform.

*You may read out or hand in the following text (that reads “Hello! I came to register my address.“) to an officer at the Civil Registry Office:

“Merhaba! Adres kaydımı yaptırmak için geldim.”

Traveling abroad before receiving your new card:

If you do not receive your new permit card before your departure, you should bring the police report you have and a photo of your lost card to the airport. It is not guaranteed but there is a chance that they approve your departure.