Depending on nationality and bi-national agreements, there is more than one visa or entry option available for students (exchange, transfer, visiting students, full-time international undergraduate or graduate students). These are traditional consular visa, e-Visa, passport, national ID, or airport visa entries. Once you have a clear understanding of how you will enter Turkey and what is most convenient for you, you will be able to make your choice.
If students are eligible by their citizenship to obtain a touristic visa or to use their passports or national ID to enter Turkey as a tourist, we recommend this option as it will allow students to travel outside Turkey while waiting on their residence permit. Since student visas can only be obtained after a consulate/embassy application and are usually granted as “Single Entry”, urgent travels of students outside Turkey without a residence permit will be restricted or problematic.

See below for a step by step guide for deciding how you will proceed:

STEP 1: Visit // This is the official website of the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Find your country in the A-Z list for visa information.

STEP 2: Understand the visa/passport terminology. ORDINARY refers to TOURISTIC; OFFICIAL refers to SERVICE or DIPLOMATIC. If a visa is necessary, students MUST look at rules associated with the ORDINARY (regular) passport unless they hold diplomatic passports.

STEP 3: Depending on the situations given below, we have written the corresponding action you must take. Please go to your country of citizenship in the list and follow these actions. IF THE VISA RULE READS:

  • “Ordinary and official passport holders are exempted from visa for their travels up to 90 days.” – Enter Turkey with your valid passport. NO visa required.
  • “Ordinary, Special, and Service passport holders are required to have visa to enter Turkey. These passport holders with a valid Schengen members or USA, UK, Ireland visa or residence permit may get their single entry e-Visas valid for one month e-Visas via the website, provided that they meet certain conditions.” – If you meet the requirement mentioned above, visit // to make your pre-visa application appointment and go to the nearest consulate for an in-person visa interview to obtain your visa for Turkey.
  • “Ordinary passport holders are required to have visa to enter Turkey. They can obtain three-month multiple entry e-Visas via the website” – Visit and obtain your touristic visa, pay online, print it, and travel to Turkey. Note: Students can also purchase a touristic visa upon arrival to Turkey at airports whenever the e-Visa option is available for them. However, buying a visa online will cost less.

Important Notes:

Even though the visa website mentioned above states, “Please note that e-visa is only valid when the purpose of travel is tourism or commerce. For other purposes, such as work and study, visas are given by Turkish Embassies or Consulates” international students admitted to a higher education program are officially eligible for a touristic visa or passport entry if either of these options is available for their country.

  • STUDENTS ARE RECOMMENDED TO TRAVEL TO TURKEY WITH A TOURISTIC e-VISA or VISA EXEMPT VALID PASSPORT if these options are available to them. A student visa obtained at a consulate is NOT RECOMMENDED unless there is no other option available for a student. A student visa is a single entry visa and therefore restricts traveling until a student has a residence permit in Turkey. Most touristic visas are valid for 90 days and allow for multiple entries.
  • Since each incoming international student is required to apply for a residence permit in Turkey, he/she must travel with a VALID PASSPORT. Immigration Authorities do not accept any other travel document for the residence permit application.
  • Passports must be valid at least 60 days longer than the duration of the study period. The longer, the better.
  • Students with Turkish citizenship or holding a Blue Card are not required to seek a visa or residence permit to Turkey. Entry with a valid passport is recommended, yet valid Turkish ID’s are also accepted. Students with dual citizenship are advised to carry both passports they possess.

For more information about passport and visa rules, visit // and you can email for your questions.

Please note: We have answers for all your visa/immigration-related questions; you do not need to seek this information elsewhere and any other information you might rely on might be misleading.

Entry rules for faculty, staff, interns, researchers, and visitors are the same as those stated above in the STUDENTS section. Regular visa rules between your home country and Turkey apply.

For country-specific information, please visit the official website of the Turkish Republic Ministry of Foreign Affairs for Visa Information for Foreigners.

Please note that “ordinary visa” refers to a regular touristic visa that students and non-students can obtain to enter Turkey.

International students and non-students can also enter Turkey with an e-Visa. An e-Visa is a touristic visa that anyone can use to enter Turkey and does not require an in-person visa application at a consulate. The e-Visa module also provides information about whether someone is exempt from touristic visas and if he/she can enter Turkey with a valid passport. Nationals of some countries can travel to Turkey with a valid passport. We recommend that everyone use the e-Visa module to check the visa requirements for Turkey.

Important Warning about Passport Expiration Dates:

Please be warned that your passports must be valid at least 60 days from the anticipated study/employment/stay period in Turkey. As such, your passport must cover your enrollment period plus the minimum of 60 days, otherwise, your residence permit application will be denied.