Things to Know After Getting a Student Residence Permit

Foreigner ID number: The number starting with 99 on your residence permit is the permanent number that you will use in public and private institutions. Take a note of this number or save it on your phone. You can obtain a PVC card cover from the copy center located at the Student Center lower 2nd floor as well. 

It will be useful in the future to take a front and back photographs of your residence permit card and save it on your phone. You can use the photograph if you do not have your residence permit with you.

Below you can find useful information about your residence permit and what you can do with it:

You can depart from and enter Turkey with your residence permit.

It is mandatory to show your residence permit with your passport at the border when you are leaving/re-entering the country.

The end date on your residence permit is the length of your stay in Turkey. You need to apply for an extension of your residence permit before the expiration date if you are going to stay longer. 

When your residence permit is lost or stolen, you must get a “Lost or Stolen Report” from the nearest police department. Then, you must visit the Istanbul Migration Office with this report and your passport to notify them and apply for a new card. 

For more information, please click here.

To learn how to obtain a health report, please visit our Opening a Bank Account page.

You need to show your residence permit with your passport in the event of a police inspection.

Please check the following document out for more details: e-Devlet.

  • You can log in to the e- Devlet platform either by an e-Devlet password or by your Turkish banking credentials (if you are a Turkish bank consumer).
  • To get an e-Devlet password, go to the nearest post office (PTT) with your passport, your residence permit, and your active Turkish mobile phone and apply. A password will be given to you in exchange of 3 ₺. You can use it at //
  • With your e-Devlet password, you can register the phone you brought from abroad, get your criminal record and get your SGK (Social Security) service history.

To register your address, you need your residence permit card, passport and a photocopy of your passport ID page along with your housing document. If you stay at KU Housing (dorms or boardings), you must collect a housing document (in Turkish) from the KU Housing Department (Dorm Management). To do so, you can use the H- Track-it system and request a residency document. If you have housemates, their names must be in the document as well. In this regard, you must choose the option “change of address” as the reason for your request. If you chose the “other/visa” option, the document will not mention their names. If you stay off-campus, you must bring either a copy of your rental contract or a utility bill on your name. Please make sure that your address is explicitly written on the document you bring. If you stay with a Turkish resident, you can visit the related office with she or he to register your address.

The office you visit to register your address depends on which district you live in. 

If you live in one of the following districts: Sarıyer, Silivri, Çatalca, Arnavutköy or Beykoz, you need to visit the Istanbul Immigration Department to register your address. There you need to go to the Data Updating Room, 1st floor, on the elft side.

If you live in other districts than the aforementioned ones, you need to visit your district’s Civil Registry Office. For instance, if you live in Beşiktaş, you need to visit Beşiktaş Civil Registry (Nüfus Müdürlüğü) with required documents.

*You may read out or hand in the following text (that reads “Hello! I came to register my address.“) to an officer at the Civil Registry Office:

“Merhaba! Adres kaydımı yaptırmak için geldim.”

After you register your address, you can obtain your Address Registration Certificate only from the e-Devlet (e-Government) platform.


According to the regulations set forth by the Information and Communication Technologies Authority of Turkey (ICTA), each individual, regardless of nationality, coming into Turkey with a phone or other mobile devices with call features must register their device within 120 days of arrival. The registration per person/per passport is limited to one device every three years. Devices not registered within 120 days will be blocked and unable to make or accept calls. Other features of the device can still be used without registration, including emergency calls. Visitors, foreign residents or students staying in Turkey for longer than 120 days must register their devices following the instructions below; for your convenience, we have made a tutorial “how-to” video thanks to which you can register your device within minutes online.

Remember: Temporary visitors, one-semester exchange students, faculty or interns, summer school students and the like DO NOT NEED to register their devices if they are staying in Turkey for less than 120 days. Below instructions and our tutorial video are available for individuals with a valid Turkish residence permit or work permit in Turkey to help them avoid paying extra fees to mobile operator branches to register their phones. 

You can follow the instructions below and register your phone by only paying the respective official fee (1838 ₺ (approximately 310 $, 280 €) for 2020) for phone registration. The dealers will charge varying service fees in addition to the registration fee that is paid at a bank or tax office.

Therefore, we advise not to rush and wait to obtain your residence permit and register within 120 days. 

Registering Your Foreign Mobile Phone in Turkey in 3 Easy Steps

1-Pay the phone registration fee at either Ziraat BankHalk Bank, or Vakıf Bank with your Residence Permit and your phone’s IMEI number. You can retrieve your IMEI number by dialing *#06# on your phone.

2- Log in to the e-Devlet (e-Government) platform. Please read the hyperlinked document to learn what is e-Devlet and how to log in.

3-Watch our quick video guide and go onto to register your phone.

  • You must apply for a number from an authorized dealer. These are Turkcell Communication Centers (TİM), Türk Telekom Communication Centers and Vodafone Mobile Centers. Do NOT apply from a Silver dealer, sub-distributor, sub-dealer, blue spot and mobile spots. 
  • If possible, go to a dealer in a shopping mall. Because they get inspected quite frequently and they are effective in the brand’s recognition, they will not do anything wrong.
  • If possible, present a photocopy of your residence permit yourself, because if you do not, they will photocopy it for you and they might get a copy for themselves as well.
  • Do not forget to write the following on the photocopy of your residence permit: “For xxx xxx xxxx, between the date DD/MM/YYYY and DD/MM/YYYY only for one transaction”.  Also, make sure that the dealer stamps the photocopy.

If Your Number Was Transferred to Another Operator Without Your Knowledge

  • If you get a message saying that your number was transferred to another operator, quickly call that operator, tell them your number was transferred to and demand a deactivation.
  • Get the fax number of the operator and send a letter saying “The number xxx has been transferred to your operator without my knowledge and consent”. Do NOT forget to sign it.
  • Very quickly, file an official complaint. You do not need to go to the office of the attorney general, just present a request to a police department.

Let the BTK (Information Technology and Communication Institution) know: //

If You Have to Pay a Termination Fee Because of the Transfer

  • Let the BTK (Information Technology and Communication Institution) know: //
  • When you receive your bill with the termination fee take it to the Customer Service Arbitration Board (Tüketici Hakem Heyeti) found in every District Governorship.
  • Do not forget that in Turkey, the judiciary system runs slowly. It will take a while for you to get a result from this free procedure, so stay calm. It is advised for you to avoid any behavior that will rend you wrongful when you are not.

With your residence permit, you can always receive paid service from a public hospital even if you do not have health insurance. If you have General Health Insurance (GHI) you can benefit from the public health services for free.

Student’s General Health Insurance: Foreign students residing in Turkey may have general health insurance without a requirement of a year-long stay if they apply within three months of the day of registration to the university. Students who do not apply in that period cannot get health insurance throughout their education. Student general health insurance is 75 ₺ (subject to change) per month and it is paid annually. The required documents are Student Enrollment Verification, original and photocopy versions of passport and residence permit.

For more information, please click here

Obtaining a Health Report

Hospital and Clinic List

Benefiting from Family Health Center

Students with residence permits can benefit from the Family Health Centers (Aile Sağlık Merkezi) for free. You need to register at the Family Health Center (FHC) in Uskumruköy either online or by a visit with a photocopy of your residence permit. You will be assigned to a doctor and this doctor will the permanent doctor that will examine you every time you visit the FHC.

FHC Online Registration (e- Devlet credentials required):

  1. Visit //
  2. Click to the “Register through e-Government” button on the left bottom side of the web page.
  3. Register by your e-Government (e-Devlet) credentials and log in.
  4. Choose “Change my family doctor (Aile hekimimi değiştir)” button.
  5. Select Uskumruköy İsmail Hakkı Mete Aile Sağlık Merkezi, and choose a doctor.
  6. Enter your height, weight, and Turkish mobile phone number.

Address: İsmail Hakkı Mete Aile Sağlığı Merkezi Uskumruköy Dere Sok. No:1 Sarıyer/İstanbul

Benefiting from Public Hospitals

Students who cannot get a GHI or SGK can be treated by paying an insignificant amount of money by presenting their residence permit. You need to make an appointment with the hospital and the department by visiting or calling 182. The website has an English language option. However, the call center is available only in Turkish. You may ask for help from a Turkish speaker friend of yours. There is no need for an appointment at the ER. 

Oral and Dental Health

People who have GHI or SGK can benefit from Oral and Dental Health Centers for free. If you do not have GHI or SGK, you need to pay. Make an appointment from or by calling 182. The website has an English language option. However, the call center is available only in Turkish. You can ask for help from a Turkish speaker friend of yours. 

You can drive in Turkey with a valid driver’s license from any country for up to 6  months. This license must be translated to Turkish and notarized. We suggest the 23rd Notary Public since its location and the translation service it provides are convenient.

If you’d like to continue driving beyond 6 months in Turkey, you have 2 options: 

  1. To convert your license to a Turkish one
  2. To obtain a new Turkish driver’s license

For more details, please check the following link out: Driving in Turkey.

Foreigners residing in Turkey can get a vehicle by:

  1. Purchasing a new vehicle while paying the government-determined taxes.
  2. Purchasing a new vehicle while not paying any tax and converting their licence plate into a Turkish licence plate (temporary importation).

The 2nd option is conducted by Turing Institution. You can get more information at //

If you are a Koç employee or a student, you are exclusive with KoçAilem!

KoçAilem is a special privilege platform for those who are affiliated with the Koç Group. It provides special discounts to Koç members in various companies. It aims to make you feel special in every aspect of your life with those special offers and discounts. You can also issue additional cards for your relatives if you wish.

You can start using your advantages by being a member of the Koç Ailem program. How to be a member is explained in the below section. You can obtain a Koç Ailem debit or credit card and start benefiting your privileges.


Mobile Application for Android

Mobile Application for App Store

If you are a faculty member

If you are a faculty member and want to be a member of Koç Ailem, you can open an HR- Trackit regarding your and your spouse’s memberships to Koç Ailem. The Human Resources Department will then provide you the necessary information and guide you better.

You may get more information by dialing 444 0 447 Koç Ailem Call Center. They have an English service as well. 

If you are a student

If you are a KU student and want to be a member of Koç Ailem, you can either call 444 0 447 Koç Ailem Call Center or visit their website. . The call center has an English service, however, the website is available only in Turkish. 

You can fill out the application form as it is presented at the following screen-shot: