Unfortunately, postdoctoral researchers are not eligible for this discounted public transit card.
You can apply for an Istanbulkart either online or in-person. However, we do recommend you apply in-person since it is faster and easier.
1. A document stating that you work under YÖK (Higher Education Council) and eligible to benefit from discounted transportation fares
2. Work Permit Card
3. 1 headshot photograph
4. Original KU faculty ID card
5. 10 ₺ (subject to change). You can pay the Istanbulkart fee in cash or by credit card on your visit to the Application Center.
1. Fill the online application form out.
Visit the online application web page and register yourself with accurate information. It is necessary to upload your head-shot photograph to the system. Please have your head-shot photograph in the JPEG version available on your computer.
2. While registering, the system asks for your YKN. It is your Foreign ID number.
3. The only way to pay your card fee (10 ₺- subject to change) is through the online application form. You can pay the fee by your credit card at the last step of your application. Please make sure that your credit card is available for international transactions. Other means of payment are not accepted for online applications.
4. You can check your application status and update your application by logging in to the membership page.
5. After completing the online application form, your card will be issued and delivered to your address via PTT (National Postal Service). You can track the delivery via PTT with your shipment number. The tracking web page is in Turkish. You should write your shipment number in the first box, and the verification code to the second.
***In case of your absence during the delivery, a note is left on your door (either your apartment or building main entrance) and your card is held for one week at the closest PTT branch to your address. If you do not collect your card within one week, your card will be sent to Karaköy İstanbulkart Application Center.
You can refill your card through the refill machines (Biletmatik) placed almost all over the public transit points, KU main campus Student Center lower 1st floor (next to Yapı Kredi Bank), and newsstands with signs: “ISTANBUL KART BAYİİ” or “ISTANBUL KART DOLUM MERKEZI“.
Besides these options, there is one new and very convenient application that allows you to refill your card online from your phone. If your phone has NFC (Near Field Communication) function*, you can download the Istanbulkart Application to your phone and refill your card easily by your credit card. The application can be used in English as well.
*You can check whether your phone supports NFC, or not, by following these steps:
Go to “Settings”. Under “Wireless and Networks”, tap on “More”. There you can see an option for NFC if your phone supports it. If the option is not there, your phone does not have NFC capabilities.
If you lose your Istanbulkart, call 153 from any phone (for other languages, press *) and cancel your Istanbulkart. The customer representative will ask for your Foreigner ID number and a security question and complete the cancellation process.
1. Work Permit Card
2. A document stating that you work under YÖK (Higher Education Council) and eligible to benefit from discounted transportation fares
3. 1 headshot photograph
4. Card renewal fee 10 ₺ (subject to change)