Before arriving in Turkey, you should obtain your international visa if it is required for your country. There are different types of visas depending on your nationality and the duration of your stay in Turkey. For details, please visit our Entry to Turkey page.
If you have any questions regarding the steps for obtaining your student visa, contact us at email@example.com.
International students are required to have health insurance that is valid in Turkey and covers the complete duration of their specific academic program. Each student must share a copy of the insurance policy in English or Turkish (if obtained in Turkey) with his/her program advisor upon arrival to campus. Students who fail to do so will be de-registered from their program, as health insurance is not only for their own safety, but it is a legal obligation for foreign residents in Turkey.
Please visit our Health & Emergency page for more information.
- Think about the climate and the duration of your stay at Koç University. Istanbul experiences all four seasons, so it is advised to bring attire for cold and rainy winters (with mild to harsh snowfalls), as well as for hot and humid summers.
- How to dress: Contemporary clothing is widely accepted, and there are no rules or restrictions; however, in order to avoid unwanted attention on public transportation or in places of religious worship, it is best to dress modestly. If you are traveling to different regions of Turkey, it would be helpful to simply ask a Turkish friend about local customs (including dress code).
- European Grounded (Schuko) adapters are used in Turkey, so depending on where you are from, you might need to bring an adapter for your electronic devices.
- Certain items and furnishings such as beds, closets, desks, chairs, refrigerators, etc. are provided in the dormitories. However, students are recommended to bring their own towels, pillowcases, and sheets. You can check the dormitory website for more details.
- It is important to pack essentials, but remember that you can purchase some items once you arrive and are settling into your accommodations.
Check your email account for any information from Koç University.
Sign up for Koç University’s social media pages for information about events and activities.
Follow us on Instagram: icokocuniv
Don’t be afraid to ask questions! Contact the Registrar’s Office and ICO if you have any questions before you arrive in Turkey.
Do some research about living in Istanbul and Turkish culture. Having an idea about what to expect will make your arrival and transition much easier.
Start thinking about a student budget. There are many useful websites to help with this, like Numbeo.