Residence Permit Renewal Applications of Students’ Dependents

Important Information
  1. Only the nuclear family members of international faculty and staff affiliates can apply for a family residence permit. The ICO supports the family residence permit application process for these individuals. To start the process or in case you want to consult, you can create a Trackit after reading the information on this page.
  2. The length of dependent residence permits depends upon the validity of the primary resident’s residence/work permit.
  3. Dependents’ passports must be valid for 60 days beyond the applied end date of the residency (i.e., if the benefactor has a work permit until March 1st, a dependent can only apply for a residence permit that ends on this date. Therefore, his/her passport must be valid until April 30th).
  4. All applications must be submitted before the visa/visa exemption/residence permit periods expire. Failing to do so might result in having to depart from and re-enter Türkiye. Please make sure you contact us through Trackit on time.
  5. Applicants cannot depart from Türkiye until their applications are evaluated. Doing so results in an automatic cancellation of their applications.
  6. Below, you can find the list of required documents both from the applicants (spouse or child) and the primary residence permit holder. The primary residence permit holder should collect the number of documents according to the number of their dependents (i.e., if you have a spouse and two children, you should submit three salary letters).


Required Documents for Each Person In Family
Important: The primary resident (KU employee) must provide his/ her required documents as much as the number of his or her dependents (i.e. if the KU employee has a spouse and a child, s/he must provide two Salary Letters).

Please make sure that all the photocopies are separately taken to separate A4- size papers.

You can photocopy both sides of your residence permit card on one side of an A4-size page.

Please note:

  1. If the primary resident’s (benefactor’s) spouse is abroad, an apostilled consent letter is required (from a Turkish Consulate in their home country or a notary public) for the chid’s application.
  2. If the benefactor is divorced and is the legal guardian of the child, a notarized Turkish translation of the court’s ruling is required.

Primary Resident (KU Employee)

  1. 2 biometric head-shots in ICAO standards taken within the last six months
  2. Photocopy of the passport ID page
  3. Photocopy of Work Permit Card (Both sides)
  4. Salary Letter from HR in Turkish, with authorized signatures list (İmza Sirküleri) I
  5. Salary rolls for the last 3 months with authorized signatures list (If applicable) I
  6. Address Registration Certificate from e-Devlet II
  7. A utility bill in your name or a notarized copy of your rental contract
  8. Social Security Activation Document from e-Devlet III
  9. Social Security Service Scheme from e-Devlet (Type SGK Hizmet Dökümü to the search box on e-Devlet)
  10. Criminal Record from Turkish authorities (e-Devlet) (Click here for instructions)
  11. Criminal Record from the country of origin UNLESS you have been living in Türkiye continuously, without interruption, with a residence permit for 5 years (Click here for instructions) VI


  1. Address Registration Certificate from e-Devlet II
  2. Social Security Activation Document from e-Devlet III
  3. Photocopy of Apostilled Marriage Certificate IV
  4. Photocopies of passport ID, last entry stamp to Türkiye, and visa pages (all stamped pages)
  5. Photocopy of residence permit card (both sides)
  6. 4 biometric head-shots in ICAO standards taken within the last six months
  7. Receipt of card fee payment V

Each Child

  1. Address Registration Certificate II
  2. Social Security Activation Document III 
  3. Photocopy of Apostilled Birth Certificate IV
  4. Photocopies of passport ID, last entry stamp to Türkiye, and visa pages (all stamped pages)
  5. Photocopy of residence permit (both sides)
  6. 4 biometric head-shots in ICAO standards taken within the last six months
  7. Photocopy of parents’ passport ID pages
  8. Photocopy of parents’ residence permit cards (both sides)
  9. Receipt of card fee payment V
I- You can request your Salary Letter and payrolls for the last 3 months via HR- Track- it.

Please do indicate in your request that the documents must be in Turkish with an authorized signatures list (İmza Sirküleri).

Remember: the number of documents must be in accordance with the number of your dependents. If your spouse and child are applying, you should request 2 salary letters and 2 copies of each payroll for the last 3 months.

II- Please click HERE to learn how to obtain an address registration certificate or to learn how to register your and your dependents’ address.

III- Social Security Activation Document can be obtained from the e-Devlet (e-Government) platform if you have already registered with Social Security. If not, you need to visit the Sarıyer SGK (Social Security Office) and register yourself with your work permit card and passport. After registering you, the personnel will print out your activation document and hand it to you.

To learn how to register your dependents and more, please click here.

IV- These apostilled certificates must be translated into Turkish and notarized.

If your country is not a party to the Apostille Convention, you have two options:

  1. Before arriving in Türkiye, you can contact a Turkish mission in your country. The Turkish mission can translate and approve your certificates.
  2. After arriving in Türkiye, you should visit the consulate of your country and get your certificates stamped. Then you should visit the Sarıyer District Governor (Kaymakamlık- 5th floor) to have your stamped documents approved. Finally, you can contact the ICO to get them translated and notarized.

List of Parties to the Apostille Convention

Please click here to see the Apostille Convention Countries (Convention of 5 October 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents).

V- The card fee cost is indicated on the first page of the application form. Payment can be made at the Sarıyer Tax Office using the foreign ID number of the applicant for the 9207 payment code. Please ensure that you receive a stamped receipt. If not, please ask for a stamp (in TR.: Makbuza mühür basar mısınız?)

If the application will be a short-term renewal, the applicant must pay the application fee as well. The fee amount will be given on the application form. If this is the case, you can make all payments (application and card fees) at once online as instructed on the guide, page 30.

VI- It is better if you collect your criminal report in your country and have it translated&issued in a Turkish consulate&embassy there, before your arrival. If you did not bring that translated and approved document before your arrival, you can visit your consulate in Istanbul to request your criminal report from your country. Please note that it will take much longer if you request it from Turkey which can result in a delay in your dependent’s permit application. If they can not finish their applications before their permit expiration dates, they must depart from Türkiye and re-enter. Important: Those documents collected from your consulate need to undergo the same process explained in footnote IV.