Notarized Rental Contract
If you live off-campus, you must obtain a notary-made rental contract. This means that you must go to the notary with your homeowner and ask the notary to prepare a rental contract. This will be necessary for your residence permit extension and registering your address.

It is very important that the notarized contract includes the ID copies of both you and your homeowner. You must make sure that

  1. Your address, full name, and foreigner ID number (or passport number) are explicitly written on the rental contract prepared by the notary.
  2. The following statement is explicitly written on the rental contract prepared by the notary: “…noterlikte huzurumda alındığını onaylarım(I approve that it was received in my presence at the notary office)
  3. Both the homeowner’s and your ID cards are copied and attached to it (If you do not have a residence permit yet, you can use your passport)

Otherwise, your notarized contract will not be sufficient to register your address.


If you are living with a friend or relative, you should go to a notary public with the person to who the contract is assigned and get a “taahhütname(an official document that states you are living with the person who is the tenant or the owner of the flat and they accept to take responsibility). That person should bring their rental contract or the certificate of ownership to the notary along with their ID card, or residence permit card.

Recommended: 23rd Notary Public

Address Registration Certificate
To obtain an Address Registration Certificate (Adres Belgesi/İkametgah), you must first register your address. Then, you can obtain the certificate from the e-Devlet (e-Government) platform.
Obtaining e-Devlet Account Registering Address
Obtaining Address Registration Certificate on e-Devlet
Health Report

To learn how to obtain a health report, please visit our Obtaining a Health Report page.

Obtaining a Health Report
Criminal Report
To collect a criminal report (sabıka kaydı), you have 2 options:


1. e-Devlet (e-Government)

  • You may visit and log in with your online banking credentials or your e-Devlet password obtained at a PTT Office. 
  • Type “Sabıka Kaydı” into the search box and proceed. 
  • Select “Resmi” in the “Type of the institution” box.


2. Visiting Çağlayan Adalet Sarayı

  • You do not need to enter the building. However, on the right side of the main entrance, there is a counter with a sign that reads “Sabıka Kaydı.” There you can request and collect your record by providing your residence permit card and passport. (If you are a faculty or staff member, do not forget that your work permit is your residence permit at the same time, as stated on the back of the card.) 



Obtaining a Turkish Criminal Record from Abroad

  • You should contact the nearest Turkish mission to you, either via email or a phone call, and explain that you need a criminal report for the period you lived in Türkiye.
  • The officers at the Turkish mission can provide such a document to you. However, it may take some time.

For the contact information of Turkish missions around the world, please visit

Social Security Activation Document (Provizyon Alabilir Belgesi)
Social Security Activation Document can be obtained from the e-Devlet (e-Government) platform if you are already registered to the Social Security System. The HR Department should activate your SGK starting from your employment therefore you may consult your HR contact person whether your SGK is activated or not. You should be able to collect your document from e-Devlet after around 45 days of activation. If not, please inquire about your SGK status to your HR contact person. If needed, visit the Sarıyer SGK (Social Security Office) and register yourself with your work permit card and passport.  

SGK Activation Document Collection - e-Devlet

Activating Your Dependents’ SGK

You and your spouse must visit the office together, and your child does not have to accompany you, bringing their documents is enough. 


Required Documents

  • Your work/residence permit card
  • Your dependents’ residence permit cards
  • Your and your dependents’ passports
  • A photocopy of translated and notarized apostilled marriage certificate for your spouse’s activation
  • A photocopy of translated and notarized birth certificates of your children for their activation


The personnel will print the activation documents and hand them to you after activation.

You may read out or hand in the following text that reads “Hello! I work at KU and want to activate my family’s social security and collect their activation documents. Can you please help? Thank you.” to an officer at the Social Security Office:

“Merhaba! Koç Üniversitesi’nde çalışıyorum ve ailemin SGK’sını aktive ettirmek ve “Provizyon alabilir” belgelerini almak için geldim. Yardımcı olur musunuz lütfen? Teşekkürler.

Obtaining an International Birth Certificate in Türkiye
To obtain a birth certificate for your newborn in Türkiye, you should first register their birth at a Civil Registry Office (Nüfus Müdürlüğü) and ask for a multilingual birth certificate. That certificate will include Turkish, English, and German explanations. You will use that birth certificate both in their passport and permit applications. We suggest you request at least 3 birth certificates so that you can have a spare one at hand. If they do not issue 3 certificates, you can have a notarized copy of it.

You may visit our Directions for Important Places page for the addresses of the suggested civil registry (Sarıyer Kaymakamlığı) and notary (23rd Notary).


Required Documents for an International Birth Certificate

  • Original Hospital Birth Record
  • Parents’ Original residence permits and passports
  • In-person application at a Civil Registry Office (No appointment needed)